There are many classes of mental illnesses recognized:
- Neurodevelopmental disorders-This covers a wide range of issues and problems begin in infancy or childhood. The child often shows symptoms of these disorders before starting grade school. ex) Autism, ADHD, Learning Disorder
- Schizophrenia spectrum and other psychotic disorders -People who suffer from psychotic disorders are not in touch with reality. Primary symptoms shown among sufferers are delusions, hallucinations, and disorganized thinking and speech.
- Bipolar and related disorder: This class includes disorders with alternating episodes of mania -periods of excessive activity, energy and excitement.-and depression
- Depressive disorders: These include disorders that affect how you feel emotionally, such as the level of sadness and happiness, and they can disrupt your ability to function. Examples include major depressive disorder and premenstrual dysphoric disorder.
- Anxiety disorders: Anxiety is an emotion characterized by the anticipation of future danger or misfortune, along with excessive worrying, It can include behavior aimed at avoiding situations that cause anxiety. this class includes generalized anxiety disorder, panic disorder and phobias.
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) and related disorders. These disorder involve preoccupations or obsessions and repetitive thoughts and actions. Examples include obsessive compulsive disorder, hoarding disorder and hair pulling disorder (trichotillomania)
- Trauma-and stressor-related disorders. These are adjustment disorders in which a person has trouble coping during or after a stressful life event. Examples include PTSD and acute stress disorder.
- Dissociative Disorders: These are disorders in which your sense of self is disrupted, such as with dissociative identity disorder and dissociative amnesia.
- Somatic symptom and related disorders.